Can I apply coconut oil on my hair? Will it damage the color?
People would love experimenting on their hairs using harmful chemicals that will cause their hair to be dry and brittle. Hair color distracts the structure and follicle health of the hair. The substance of the dye opens the cuticle of the hair and will pass through the cortex to destroy the melanin pigments. Thus, the effects on the hair after using chemicals are dry, porous and it will easily break. In comes coconut oil, a healthy natural solution.
Coconut oil can be applied on a treated hair especially on dyed hairs since it keeps the hair shimmering and soft. Apply with warm oil at night and wash or rinse the hair the next morning. It can be repeated every few days to maintain strong, healthy and conditioned hair.
Coconut oil has a high moisture retaining capacity since it is not easily broken down nor evaporated that keeps its stability. The amount of oil should always be according to the hair length of the user. Overusing the coconut oil will weigh hair down losing its volume.
The natural effect of hair colors will always be devastating. All usual hair colors contain hydrogen peroxide and this will cause severe oxidative damages to hair and scalp. The copper and iron (metals) from tap water or in hair products reacts with hydrogen peroxide and precipitates in the protein layer of the hair. The results of the procedure will lead to radical free formation that begins a chain of oxidative damaging the hair shafts and follicles
Coconut Oil for Hair recipe
- Start applying an amount of a teaspoon size of oil in the palm of your hand. Coconut oil will turn into a liquid at 760 Fahrenheit and it is easier to use in the solid white state. You can refrigerate the oil for a bit to get the consistency if needed, very cold or frozen coconut oil will be difficult to scoop it out.
- warm oil in the palm of your hands a bit and start massaging the oil into the ends of your hair, start to work up going to the scalp
- On thicker hair, you can use hair clips to separate out and make sure all the hair will be saturated with oil. Thicker hair will usually require much more oil than the thinner hair
- Comb through your hair and leave it for at least 10 minutes – overnight. Applying coconut oil daily won’t overdo the process.
- Then shampoo and condition hair as normal.
To avoid greasy, oily and flat hair after using coconut oil just rinse the oil out of your hair. If you were not able to remove the oil out, you may rinse it a few times. Once the hair is dried and oil free the hair will be soft and silkier as the end result without looking greasy at all.
You may want to have pre-dying treatment using the coconut oil since it protects from peroxide that damages the hair. It will also increase dye uptake that results to have a harmonious and vibrant hair color.