Coconut oil for the Hair
We are now living in a place where things are being modified especially with our daily consumption such as, our food or even the beauty regimen we are applying to our body. The generation nowadays are tending to have different choices on products, but the best choice to make is to go for organic materials. One of the best organic material today is the coconut oil. Few of the people knew the benefit it gives to people and it has a various health benefits which is not limited to our hair and skin, but also to improve our digestion and immunity against different host of infections and other diseases.
Coconut oil is considered to be an edible oil to be extracted from the kernel or meat of mature coconuts that were harvested from the coconut palm. Because of the high saturated fat content, it is known to be slow in oxidizing, thus, it is resistant to rancidification that can last up to six months at 24 °C (75 °F) without spoiling.
Coconut oil works greatly on reconditioning dry and damaged hair because of the molecular structure of coconut oil. It is ideal for penetrating the hair shaft, getting past the cuticle, repair and prevent damage from the inside out. The Vitamin E, Capric Acid and Lauric Acid helps restructure hair, increasing hair strength by preventing protein loss, and vastly improve shine.
There are a lot of benefits that coconut oil can give to us, one is the benefit using coconut oil for the hair, especially on hair loss and hair damage. Coconut oil has antiviral, antifungal, antibacterial properties and rich in antioxidants. When you use it on your hair, it helps in improving scalp health, it fights fungus and infections, supports growth of hair and most of all, it adds volume and shine without having harmful chemicals. Vitamin E is one of the chemical composition of the Coconut oil that creates a silky and shiny hair.
People with dry hair that is usually rough and thin consider this as a big concern. The use of strong hair care products for cleansing, toning and conditioning may lead to dryness and flaky scalp. Coconut oil can be effective in takin care of this kind of concern.
Benefits of Coconut Oil for the hair:
- It Conditions the Hair:
It Gives us the Perfect Hair Conditioner than any harmful synthetic products available in the market today. Coconut oil reduces the protein loss, in which, leading to dryness and breakage of the hair. It also helps prevent damage from brushing and combing, and more importantly, it is safe to use on our children.
It can be used as a leave-on conditioner, or can be used as intensive conditioner for hours or overnight. Finding the right amount of oil for your hair is the key to using perfectly the coconut oil. A little amount of it will go a long way.
If hair is thin or gets greasy easily, skip the scalp as the oil could weigh down the hair. More coconut oil may be needed for long hair and use more oil to apply from the driest and most damaged part of the hair. Apply less where you think your hair is healthiest (mid shaft and scalp area)
- For short hair – Put atleast ¼ teaspoon in your palms and rub it to on your palms to provide warmth before placing in your hair.
- For longer hair – You may use up to ½ tablespoon.
Use Coconut oil sparingly on thinner hair, this might weigh down the hair if too much is used. Pay much attention to the ends of the hair as well as the shaft. Smooth down through hair and proceed to style.
For intensive use, after washing with natural shampoo:
- For short hair – Apply 1 teaspoon to your hair.
- For shoulder length hair – Apply 2 teaspoon.
- For Long hair – 1 tablespoon.
Cover using a shower cap, leaving it for 1-2 hours or overnight. Then, Wash with gentle shampoo and style as wanted.
- For dry or damaged hair – add few of drops of geranium essential oil and/or sandalwood essential oil (both for leave-on and intensive coconut oil) for treatments for hair conditioning.
Essential oils (as mentioned above) helps supports the retention of the moisture and helps increase moisturizing and conditioning effects for the hair
For deep conditioning, using the same steps above (No.1, conditioning hair):
- Add 4 drops of Rosemary Essential Oil (instead of sandalwood essential oil), known to increase hair growth over 20%. It also helps increase circulation in scalp and produce great results when used with coconut oil.
Coconut oil has a highly good moisture retaining capacity and it does not let any moisture escapes, helping the hair be kept moist and soft that prevents hair breakage.
Coconut oil has various fatty acids:
- Lauric acid
- Myristic acid
- Caprylic acid
- Capric acid
- Caproic acid
- Palmitic acid
- Oleic acid
- Pamitoleic acid
- Linoleic acid
- Stearic acid
These various fatty acids (as mentioned above) in coconut oil are very good anti-dandruff agents that keeps the skin moist and smooth and better than any anti-dandruff shampoo readily available today. Regular use and application of coconut oil can help eradicate dandruff. An effective treatment of dandruff is when you mix the coconut oil with lukewarm water and castor oil. While applying, massage the scalp and hair at the same time for better and ideal results.
Essential oils like, Lavender, Wintergreen, Thyme, and tea tree, helps fight fungus and yeast.
- For intensive dandruff treatment – Mix 2 teaspoons of coconut oil with 5 drops of oil (from mentioned above), or combination and massage it to the scalp
- Cover with shower cap and may sit under heat of the sun for 20-30 minutes or may use hair dryer on a low heat to the cap.
This product is best in hair styling, over looked by many. If proper amount is applied depending on hair length it tames flyaways, frizz, etc.
- Taming Frizzy hair- smooth from root to tips and use blow dryer and style your hair as what you desire.
Prepare an amount of 1/4 teaspoon- 1 teaspoon (depending on hair length) and warm in palms. Smooth through the hair from root to tips and blow dry and style as desired.
May disguise split ends and nourish them at the same time by applying tiny bit of coconut oil on hair ends.
- Protecting from the sun – it has a natural sunscreen with spf. You can use this as leave-on conditioner for a day.
- Detangling hair – it penetrates the hair shaft as it improves hair break stress. Apply small amount of coconut oil, most likely with tangled areas and damaged ends. Use a comb that has a wide tooth, starting from the bottom and gradually comb upper part of the hair.
- Lice Prevention and Treatment
The coconut oil will penetrate the hair shaft and the scalp that helps the repelling of lice and keeping their eggs from attaching to the hair. When the wet hair is coated with the coconut oil, it will be easier to comb and immediately will remove the lice.
Infested by lice:
- Mix 3 tablespoons of coconut oil with 1 teaspoon of ylang ylang, anise and tea tree oils. May double the recipe for longer hair while shoulder length hair will be of the same measurement above.
- Apply solution on scalp and massage while pulling it through the ends. Using a fine toothcomb, comb through the hair. Should cover using a shower cap and allow to sit for 2 hours. Sit under the sun or use a hair dryer to repeatedly warm the cap.
- After 2 hours, comb the hair twice prior to washing and rinsing thoroughly. While the hair is wet, Prepare a mixture of 2 cups of apple cider vinegar and a cup of water in a small spray bottle. Spray on the scalp and hair for about 1/2 of the mixture.
- Rinse thoroughly and comb hair using fine toothcomb. Followed by a light application of coconut oil and cover with a shower cap, once done or style as desired. May allow to remain on the hair until the next wash.
The process needs to be repeated 5-10 days for few weeks to ensure that lice and their eggs are eradicated. May need to comb hair during morning and night with fine toothcomb and use coconut oil as leave on conditioner.
- Hair Growth
Harmful chemicals can create scalp irritation and can affect the growth of hair. Massaging the scalp with coconut oil helps improve blood circulation and supports hair growth. It is important to massage with gently pressure for at least 10 minutes and regularly doing it 3 or 4 times per week. When only focused with scalp conditioning and hair growth, Apply Only 1 teaspoon.
Coconut oil is rich with vitamin K and vitamin E that helps reduce dandruff on scalps and can make healthy hair follicles. The treatment is not just limited for thinning hair. When experiencing hair fall while washing, brushing or styling, these treatments with essential oils can help
Coconut oil also helps in toning of the hair, mostly on people with dry hair. You can apply a warm mixture of the coconut oil and lavander essential oil into the scalp at night, then wash rinse the next morning. You may repeat the procedure frequently as needed, until you see wanted results.
- Split ends
If there are split ends on our hair, the general advises we get is to cut them, but in the case of people having a small number of hair strands, we can use simple home remedies to solve such problem that won’t keep you from spending much. All we need is a mixture of coconut oil and almond oil then massage it into the hair for a few minutes. This will help minimize the split ends to happen in your hair
- Gray Hair and Baldness
Coconut oil is also beneficial on preventing baldness and gray hair by trying to mix Eclipta Alba (Bhringraj ) leaf juice into coconut oil and gently apply this on the scalp and hair.
Detergent or soap- based shampoos will give you a dry, rough, hard and bleached hair. You will notice that your comb won’t go smoothly as soon after you shampooed your hair. But with the coconut oil, the components coming from natural saturated fats will keep the hair smooth and shiny.
Applying these things as mentioned above on your daily regimen, specifically on your hair, will show healthier hair as it continuously taken care of by using the Coconut oil. Not only it gives healthier and stronger hair, but also lessen the expenses made for your daily consumption. The coconut oil doesn’t cost that much and the product is available anywhere. It also adds sweet and refreshing scent to the shampoos. It also reduces Hair loss and this proper of Coconut oil is the most famous among all.
In buying coconut oil, be reminded that it has 6 different varieties to be considered:
- Fractionated and extra virgin
You should be able to identify what type of coconut oil do you need, whether it is for edible purposes or for aromatherapy, for massaging, for weight loss, or medicinal purposes.
|Purpose||Type of Coconut oil|
|As a Carrier oil||Virgin, Fractionated|
|Good health||Virgin, Organic|
|Medical Use||Virgin, Virgin Organic|
Why do we need to treat our hair with Coconut oil?
- it stimulates hair growth by getting deep into its follicles
- it promotes the scalp to prevent problems such as insect bites, lice and dandruff.
- it moisturizes dry hair.
- adds luster, shine and softness to our hair.
- prevents hair breakage and split ends and contributes to hair length.
- slows down hair loss
In line with using the coconut oil as listed above, it is also important to do our part to maintain our healthy hair such as:
- Keeping your hair clean
- Eat good and nutritious food
- Use of good hair grooming products
- Use a good comb that doesn’t break or damage your hair.